Dental implants are a dental restoration option that can replace one or more missing teeth. One of the most common dental problems is tooth loss, which can be caused by gum disease, injury, or genetic factors. Dental implants offer a permanent solution for replacing missing teeth and preventing dental implant complications such as bone deterioration and facial disfigurement. In this post, we will answer few questions that help you in understanding dental implants and how they can help you.
What are dental implants, and how do they work?
A dental implant is a small titanium screw that is surgically inserted into the jawbone, anchored at one end to replace lost teeth or anchor dentures. Unlike dentures, dental implants provide an immediate fixed solution for missing teeth without being held by sutures.
Dental implants work by integrating with the jawbone through a process called osseointegration. The dental implant becomes an extension of your natural tooth root; therefore, dental implants provide stability and structural support for holding dental prosthetics such as crowns or bridges.
Why should you get dental implants?
As we have discussed that Dental implants can help prevent dental implant complications such as bone deterioration and facial disfigurement. So, if you have missing teeth or dental problems, dental implants will be the best option for you.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants can offer many advantages over other restoration options. Here are some of them.
- Looks and feels like natural teeth: Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth. They are also made of the same dental materials: titanium, which is corrosion-resistant and biocompatible.
- Don’t interfere with other dental works: One main benefit is dental implants don’t interfere with dental work or gum, they create a stable base for your teeth to attach too and they also stimulate bone growth which prevents future loss of teeth. In order to get dental implants placed, you’ll need X-rays and an exam by a dentist or periodontist before getting started.
- More stable than dentures or dental bridges: Dental implants are more stable than dentures or dental bridges because they attach to your jawbone in a surgically constructed socket. Dental implants will anchor your teeth and allow you to chew the way that nature intended. This means more stability for dental work, a better quality of life for patients, and less time in dental appointments.
- Offers you a beautiful smile: Dental implants help you maintain a beautiful smile that you have lost due to missing teeth. You can just book an appointment with a reputed dentist, and dental implants can be installed in a dental office without any pain.
- More affordable than dental bridges or dentures: Dental implants are more affordable than dental bridges and dentures because they serve as an anchor for your teeth that will last the rest of your life. You won’t need to worry about wearing out dental work, which is expensive over time.
What are the types of dental implants?
Dental implants are dental prosthetics that are designed to replace a missing tooth, damaged root, or any other tooth-related problem. They come in three types:
- The dental implant fixture is the screw that replaces the root of an absent tooth/teeth; it’s what your dentist implants into your jawbone when you have dental surgery for dental implants.
- A dental implant post is what attaches to the dental implant fixture and then replaces a missing tooth.
- Clasps are additional devices inserted into your mouth that attach your dental implants to natural teeth on either side of the space, making it easier for you to chew food without messing up other parts of your smile at the same time.