With a big presence in the accounting world for decades, QuickBooks is now the world’s leading and most reputable bookkeeping and financing software used by millions of companies and solopreneurs to manage their regular business transactions. However, apart from the beneficial aspect of using QuickBooks, the fact that it is vulnerable to countless bugs and errors also does matter. Among the common errors, QuickBooks Error H202 is the one that a user can often face while trying to connect to the company file, stored on the server at a different location, directly from any of the workstations. The error prompt pops up on the computer screen with an error message, which states, “The company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.” There can be several reasons behind the occurrence of such a multi-user error that we intend to discuss with you through this post, alongside the solutions to rectify it.
Are you looking for instant troubleshooting assistance resolving QuickBooks error H202 without breaking a sweat? If yes, feel free to speak to our technical support team at the toll-free number 1.800.579.0391.
What are the reasons causing QuickBooks error code H202?
Generally, QuickBooks error code H202 gets triggered when the Database Server Manager is not set up to function on the computer that hosts the company file. However, there can be other reasons also, like as follows:
- The Windows Firewall Defender is blocking QuickBooks Desktop from connecting to the internet connection.
- Any internal services of QuickBooks, like QBCFMonitorService or QuickBooksDBXX, have been stopped on the server computer.
Read Also: QuickBooks error 6189
What are the best troubleshooting solutions to get rid of QuickBooks Error H202?
Solution 1) From QuickBooks Tool Hub, run the QuickBooks Database Service Manager
- Then On the server computer where company files are hosted, then download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub (188.8.131.52).
- Click on the downloaded installation file named QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Then follow the instructions you see on the computer screen and at last, Click ok to the terms and conditions to finish the QuickBooks Tool Hub installing.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub application and choose the Network Issues tab at the left panel.
- Under the Fix My Network section, click on the QuickBooks Database Server Manager button.
- Choose the Browse option to select the QuickBooks company file and then click on the Start Scan button.
- Once the Database Server Manager is done scanning the company file, click on the Close button.
- Now, open the QuickBooks Desktop application on the workstation where you get the error message and try to switch it to multi-user mode.
Solution 2) Manually configure the security settings of Firewall Defender for QuickBooks Desktop
- On the server computer, select the Windows Start menu and enter “Windows Firewall” into the search field.
- Open Windows Firewall and then click on the Advanced Settings option from the left panel.
- Right-click Inbound Rules and then choose the New Rule option.
- Click on the Program option and then hit the Next button.
- Choose This Program Path and select the Browse option to find and choose the QBDBMgrN.exe file using the following location path: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS Year.
- Click on the Next button.
- Choose the Allow the Connection option and then hit the Next button.
- Make a new rule with the name QBFirewallException(name.exe).
Once you are finished creating inbound rules, create outbound rules by repeating the aforementioned steps in the same manner, except you need to choose Outbound Rules instead of Inbound Rules.
Solution 3) Manually restart the internal services of QuickBooks on the server computer
Restart the necessary QuickBooks services on the server computer
- On the server of the computer, Click to open the Windows Start menu.
- Into the search column, enter “services.mc” and select Services from the top of the list.
- From the list of services, double-select QuickBooksDBXX (XX denotes the version year of QuickBooks Desktop).
- From the Startup type: drop-down menu, select the Automatic option.
- Look at Service status: and make sure it is either Started or Running. In case it is neither of them, choose the Start button.
- Go to the Recover tab.
- From the drop-down menus of First failure, Second failures, and Subsequent failures, select the Restart the Service option.
- Click on the Apply button and then the OK button to save the changes you just made.
- Repeat the steps mentioned above in the same manner for QBCFMonitorService.
If you get QuickBooks error H202 even after implementing all the troubleshooting solutions explained above in the post, then there might be some network connectivity complications between the workstations and the server computer. Therefore, our suggestion for you is to use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server computer and see whether this fixes the error or not. You can also ask for additional troubleshooting assistance resolving the multi-user error from our QuickBooks support team at the toll-free number 1.800.579.0391.
Read Also: QuickBooks Display Issues